Help Us Select a New City Flag!
The City of Cedar Rapids wants residents to help us select a new city flag. In order to select a flag that best reflects the community, we asked residents to tell us what colors, shapes, symbols best represent Cedar Rapids, and send us their design ideas.
Several volunteer designers created a series of concept flags using the input gathered from the community earlier in the public engagement process. The concept flags were ranked and refined through feedback from members of the North American Vexillological Association and a local committee. Now we are asking Cedar Rapids residents to rank four final designs to help us arrive at a new flag for the City of Cedar Rapids.
Designs for the new Cedar Rapids flag follow guidelines set by the North American Vexillological Association:
- Keep It Simple: A flag should be so simple it can be drawn from memory.
- Use Meaningful Symbolism: A flag’s images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes.
- Use 2-3 Basic Colors: Limit the number of colors on the flag to three which contrast well and come from the standard color set.
- No Lettering or Seals: Never use writing of any kind or an organization’s seal.
- Be Distinctive or Related: Avoid duplicating other flags, but you can use similarities to show connections.
Finalists & Symbolism
Now You Decide!
Help select the flag that best represents the Cedar Rapids community by ranking the designs in order of preference.
Flag Unveiling September 18, 2021
The final flag will be unveiled on September 18, 2021 during the downtown farmers market. Join us at the Cedar Rapids library at 10:00 am to see the final flag, selected by Cedar Rapids residents.
Final designs were created by local volunteer designers using feedback received through the public input process. Costs associated with this project totaled $687.73 for public engagement materials.