On February 25, 2020, the Cedar Rapids City Council passed a resolution recognizing the urgency for community climate action. View the resolution.
In response to this resolution, City staff and engaged community members are preparing a Community Climate Action Plan. Learn more.
Timeline to Community Climate Action
Climate Advisory Committee
A Climate Advisory Committee (CAC) will work with City of Cedar Rapids staff to develop an equitable Community Climate Action Plan (CCAP) to meet the targets of the City’s Climate Resolution from January 2021 to September 2021. Committee members have been appointed by Mayor Brad Hart and approved by City Council. Learn more.
Climate Action | Kickoff Events
Virtual Kickoff Events
Miss the virtual kickoff events? Catch up on efforts underway and learn from diverse perspectives olimate action, resilience, equity, meeting the needs of vulnerable residents, and more.
After the events, we followed up with panelists on questions unanswered due to time limitations. (Download Audience/Panelist Q&As)
- October 22, 2020 (watch on YouTube)
- 10:15 - Jeff Pomeranz, City Manager, City of Cedar Rapids
- 16:36 - Eric Holthaus, Sustainability Coordinator, City of Cedar Rapids
- 33:55 - Karla Twedt-Ball, Senior Vice President, Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation
- 40:00 - Mark Weldon, Sustainability Principal Engineer, PepsiCo / Quaker Oats
- 46:45 - Monica Vallejo, President of Westdale Area Neighborhood Association, Young Parents Network, League of United Latin American Citizens
- 52:58 - Eric Tate, Professor of Geography, University of Iowa
- 1:02:15 - Q&A
- October 29, 2020 (watch on YouTube)
- 6:14 - Jeff Pomeranz, City Manager, City of Cedar Rapids
- 15:17 - Eric Holthaus, Sustainability Coordinator, City of Cedar Rapids
- 31:58 - Liz Callahan (and Nia), Environmental Educator (and student), Cedar River Academy
- 38:28 - Dara Schmidt, Director, Cedar Rapids Public Library
- 45:26 - Mugisha Bwenge, Director, United We March Forward
- 54:15 - David Osterberg, Professor Emeritus at University of Iowa; Founder of Iowa Policy Project
- 1:06:04 - Q&A
EnvisionCR | GreenCR, Goal 3, Initiative 15: Prepare a community-wide Climate Action Plan that builds on the Energy Management Plan and addresses emission from land use, transportation, street lights, water consumption, waste generation, and building energy.
iGreenCR Action Plan | Resources, Goal 1, Objective A: Convene community stakeholder group to develop climate action and adaptation plan.