Tree Debris Removal
Tree Debris Removal
July 13, 2020
The Cedar Rapids Parks and Recreation Department’s Forestry Division is experiencing higher than normal requests for service following the weekend storm. The City does not remove private debris/limbs unless a tree state of emergency has been issued. The City of Cedar Rapids will only issue a tree state of emergency when an area has received extensive damage to public trees which has not been the case for this storm. Timing of tree debris removal will be prioritized and could take several days.
For removal of City owned, right-of-way/parkway trees:
- Complete a removal request at http://bit.ly/CRreporttree.
- If tree limbs are small put them near the curb for pickup. It is not necessary to cut the debris for parkway trees.
- If a City tree, limb or debris has fallen into a street, move the limb to the side of the road if possible and contact Forestry (319-286-5747). The City will first clear the street and then return at a later time to pick up any debris or leftover city limbs.
- The City will clear alleys but not remove private debris.
Homeowners are responsible for removing private tree debris and limbs on their property. The Solid Waste & Recycling yard waste collection services accepts unlimited yard waste as long as it meets these requirements:
- Put debris and limbs in your Yardy cart first. The lid must close for it to be picked up and emptied.
- Then, cut limbs into 3 foot pieces, no larger than 5 inches in diameter, and secure those pieces into bundles no longer than 2 foot in diameter with biodegradable twine. Bundles can not weigh more than 40 pounds.
- Please refer to Solid Waste (319-286-5897) with more questions.
You can also haul the debris to the landfill at the A St location, 2250 A St SW, or call a tree service to come and dispose of the debris or limbs. Find instructions at www.solidwasteagency.org/compost-yard-waste.