NOTICE: All hard surface commuter trails have been cleared and are open for bike and pedestrian use. For safety reasons due to the recent storm, other trails remain closed.
The Cedar Rapids Parks and Recreation Department maintains walking trails throughout the park system as well as recreational trails in the city. The trails wind through wooded areas, shady parks, along streams, the Cedar River, and downtown Cedar Rapids. Most trails are surfaced with crushed limestone. The Cedar Valley Nature Trail and Cedar Lake Loop Trail are asphalt and concrete and are kept open throughout the year. The crushed limestone trails are not cleared in the winter.
In the winter, asphalt trails will be cleared of snow as soon as possible to maintain transportation routes. Trails will be cleared of weekend snow on the following Monday.
- Download the comprehensive trails map
- Cross-Country Ski Trails
- Mountain Biking Trails
- Recreational Trails (bike, in-line skating, walking and running)
- Seminole Valley Cross-Country Course
- Walking Trails in parks
- Mount Trashmore trail hours (managed by the Solid Waste Agency)
|Trail||Description||Location of closure or detour||Anticipated date of reopening|
|Reference the storm response page for updated closures.|
|Cedar Valley Nature Trail||Closing Dec. 14||Closed near Shaver Rd. NE at the McLoud Run Cold Stream Bridge (south of J Ave. NE)||3 weeks|
- Area: H Avenue NE from Cedar Lake Loop Trail (west of Shaver Road) to Oakland Road
- Construction: 2020
- Improvements: In addition to the trail, the project also includes storm water drainage improvements, bike lanes, and ADA enhancements. The project is anticipated to be completed this construction season.
1st Avenue & CEMAR Trail
- Area: 28th Street - 31st Street; west side of 31st Street - 34th Street
- Construction: 2020
- Improvements: Extension of the CEMAR Trail: New trail will stretch from B Avenue at 29th Street NE, to the Cedar Rapids/Marion City Limits (near the Mount Calvary Cemetery)
- Pedestrian underpass between 30th Street and 31st Street (view a map)
- More info about the entire project HERE.
- Linn Area Mountain Bike Association (LAMBA)
- Linn County Trails
- Trails Master Plan Update (2015)
- Trails Master Plan
Rate our service by completing this Customer Satisfaction Survey.