HomeI Want To . . .Apply For > Private Fire Hydrant Permit

Apply For

The City of Cedar Rapids is currently working to implement an online Private Fire Hydrant Permit application system through Elements, which will go live in early 2023. Customers will be required to create a free account and register online with the City in order to submit Private Fire Hydrant permits. The downloadable, fillable PDF application provided on this page is temporary.


  • Visit CityofCR.com/MyCR and click “Sign Up For An Account” to create a My CR account when the online Private Fire Hydrant Permit application is available.
    • Use the Inspection Checklist provided by CRWD for inspection and maintenance when submitting reports. 


Complete the Temporary Paper Permit Application and submit to Private-Hydrants@cedar-rapids.org for processing (free of charge). 

  • Please allow a minimum of 5 business days for a response.
  • Permits will be active for 7 business days from the work start date.
    • Inspection reports shall be submitted to CRWD within 10 business days from the work finish date.
    • A new permit application will need to be submitted if work will extend outside of the original 7-day limit for any reason.

If any work will extend into the public Right-of-Way, a Right-of-Way permit will be required. Please visit the Right of Way Permits & Working in the Right of Way page on the City’s website to learn more and submit a Right-of-Way permit application.



What is a private fire hydrant?

Private fire hydrants are those that are located on private property, are connected to a private water main, or were installed for new construction at the cost of the developer. They are owned and maintained by the property owner.

What is a Private Fire Hydrant Permit?

A Private Fire Hydrant Permit is required prior to performing any work on site. The permit allows Cedar Rapids Water Division staff to review the area of work and determine if special requirements are needed prior to work. The permit will also serve as notice to the Cedar Rapids Water Division of planned private fire hydrant work and allow us to monitor who is operating a private fire hydrant. The issued permit must be present at the site.

What is the cost to submit a Private Fire Hydrant Permit?

There is no cost to the user to submit an application for a Private Fire Hydrant Permit.

Where can I find more information regarding private fire hydrants?

Please visit the City’s FAQ page and navigate to “Private Fire Hydrants” for more information.

© 2022  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login