CURRENTLY CLASSES ARE NOT BEING PROVIDED.
This page will be updated when classes will be offered again.
The City of Cedar Rapids Housing Services Division offers both Initial and Refresher Lead Safe Renovator certification classes.
In April 2010, regulations impacting renovation work in pre-1978 residential housing (target housing) and child occupied facilities became effective nation-wide. These rules require at least one certified lead-safe renovator per renovation, and the use of specific lead-safe work practices. In Iowa, the Iowa Department of Public Health has the authority to implement this program.
The Lead Certification Program requires training and certification of lead-safe renovators. it also requires certification of the firms that employ certified lead professionals.
Who should attend?
Any firm that performs renovation, repair, and paint projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and preschools built before 1978 must use certified Lead Safe Renovators.
8-hour Initial Lead Safe Renovator
- This one-day course focuses on working safely with lead-based painted surfaces.
- This course is required by the State of Iowa and the EPA for anyone (for profit, or non-profit) working in or on pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities.
- This includes, but is not limited to work such as: Painting, Siding, Windows and Doors, Gutters, Roofing, Finish Trim work, Flooring, Countertops and Cabinets, Window Treatments, Garage Doors, Foundation Repair, Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC and Mechanical, etc.
4-hour Lead Safe Renovator Refresher
- This half-day course is for individuals that have already taken an approved Initial Lead Safe Renovator and that need to renew their Lead Safe Renovator certification.
- This course is required by the State of Iowa and the EPA every 3 years to recertify.
8-hour Initial Class 8AM – 5PM
4-hour Refresher Class 8AM – 12PM