Generally, businesses are not allowed to operate at a residential property. However, the City of Cedar Rapids allows a very limited range of service related activities to operate from a home when certain criteria are met. Regulating home businesses is the City's way of making sure the residential character of the neighborhood where the home occupation is operating is not adversely affected.
Prohibited Home Occupations / Businesses:
- Barber, beauty, tanning, or nail shops
- Automobile oriented businesses
- Taxicab or limousine businesses
- Renting of rooms by a resident owner to more than two roomers
- Adult entertainment establishments
Requirements for a Home Occupation / Business:
Utilize the Home Occupation Questionnaire to guide you through the City's requirements.
Home Occupation Questionnaire
Don't Meet All of the Requirements?
A zoning inspector may be able to assist you in modifying your plans so that you would be able to have a home business.