The Cedar Rapids 2022-2023 Urban Deer Hunt will be held from September 17, 2022 through January 10, 2023. The City of Cedar Rapids is conducting its annual Urban Deer Hunt for the 2022-2023 season as authorized by Resolution No. 0762-09-07.
Hunting permits are required and will be issued after successful completion of the following:
- Attend a (one-time only) Iowa Bow Hunter's Safety Course. For more information about the course and available dates, contact the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
- Bowhunter's safety from another state will be accepted.
- Complete an Urban Deer Management 2022-2023 Application.
- Complete an annual proficiency certification test at Palo Outdoors, 1204 1st Street, Palo.
- Palo Outdoors will begin allowing proficiency testing starting Wednesday, July 20, 2022.
- Attend the Urban Deer Hunt Rules and Regulations Class (required of all hunters each season):
Orientation sessions are scheduled for 90 minutes and are scheduled as follows:
Wednesday, September 7th - 6:00-7:30 PM - Palo Outdoors
Saturday, September 10th – 10:00-11:30 AM - Palo Outdoors
For an Urban Bow Hunt permit to be issued at one of the Rules and Regulations sessions, you need to bring the following (no exceptions will be made):
- A state issued photo ID/Driver’s License.
- A current Iowa hunting license.
- Paid Habitat Fee (unless exempt).
- Bow Hunters Safety card or certificate if new to the City of Cedar Rapids urban deer hunt.
- Bow Hunters Safety will be accepted from another state.
- A completed successful archery proficiency test.
- A completed and signed Urban Bow Hunt Application.
The following are items that are required by the bow hunter to participate in the deer hunt; however these items do not need to be completed to receive a Cedar Rapids Urban Deer Management Permit:
- Deer tag(s) for the City of Cedar Rapids Urban Bow Hunt.
- An area or multiple areas to bow hunt inside the corporate city limits of Cedar Rapids.
- A completed land owner’s permission form. One form is required for each address that the bow hunter hunts.
Please note that City-owned property is currently NOT available for hunting.
Deer Hunt Zones: City of Cedar Rapids Deer Hunt Zones Map
Rules and Regulations: Urban Deer Management Program Rules and Regulations are available for review. Those interested in participating in the Urban Deer Hunt should review and will be responsible for adhering to all rules to ensure safety and efficiency of the program. Violation of any rules will result in disqualification from the hunt. (Included in Application packet)
Landowner Authorization: Written permission from at least one landowner must be in the possession of the hunter and available for inspection by any DNR officer, law enforcement officer, or City of Cedar Rapids Hunt Administrator at all times that the hunter is involved in hunting activity within the City limits. (Included in Application packet)
Landowner Looking for Hunters to Harvest Deer? City of Cedar Rapids land owners that are looking for hunters to harvest deer off of their property should contact the Urban Deer Hunt Program Manager. Please include your name, address and telephone number.
Email: Landowner Deer Harvest Request
Battalion Chief Jason Andrews
Urban Deer Hunt Program Manager
Cedar Rapids Fire Department
713 1st Avenue SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Email: Urban Deer Hunt