HomeLocal GovernmentDepartments G - VPoliceTraffic Division > When to File an Accident Report


Notify the Police Department by calling 9-1-1 if anyone is injured or killed. Also notify the Police Department if traffic is blocked or seriously obstructed, or if any object adjacent to the street has been struck. Otherwise, identify yourself to the other driver(s) and secure name(s) and address(es). Also, secure the license numbers of the other vehicles, the makes and models of the vehicles, and the other party's insurance company information.

If the combined property damage is or may be $1,500 or more, or if anyone is killed or injured, fill out a State Accident report form, which can be acquired at the Police Department, any Cedar Rapids fire station, or from any police officer. The form should be completed within 72 hours of the accident.  The form is also available online:

State Accident Report

The State accident report form needs to be mailed to the Iowa Department of Transportation in Des Moines. 

Contact information
Phone: 319-286-5356

© 2024  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login