Collection System Overview
The City of Cedar Rapids’ Public Works and Water Pollution Control Departments maintain a robust system of underground pipes, manholes, and lift stations which move sewage and stormwater around the city.
By the Numbers
The collection system serves approximately 155,000 Cedar Rapids residents and neighbors in Marion, Hiawatha, Robins, and Linn County.
The Public Works Department operates and maintains the storm and sanitary sewer collection systems. The Water Pollution Control Department operates and maintains the lift stations. In a few cases, sewer mains may be owned and maintained privately.
Property owners are responsible for service line maintenance from the connection at the sewer main to the connection at the buildings.
The City’s sanitary sewer maintenance responsibilities include:
- Clean and clear obstructions,
- Televise and determine pipe condition and blockage causes,
- Assist Water Pollution Control with flow-monitoring activities,
- Perform routine maintenance and reconstruction of manholes and sewer lines,
- Perform emergency repair of manholes and sewer lines, and
- Perform minor construction and repairs for other City departments.
- Sewer Collection System Map [pdf]
- Lift Station Districts & Policies