Stormwater Cost-Share Program
for projects incorporating Best Management Practices (BMPs)
The Stormwater Cost-Share Program reimburses 50% of qualifying expenses toward stormwater infiltration projects (best-management practices). This can include the cost of materials and/or contractor labor.
- For residential properties, the maximum reimbursement is $2,000.
- For commercial properties, there is no reimbursement maximum.
When stormwater — or rainwater and snowmelt — lands on hard surfaces like roofs, driveways, and sidewalks, it flows directly into streams and rivers instead of soaking into the ground. This stormwater can pick up pollutants and contaminants from these surfaces as it makes its way toward our creeks and rivers. Water in the stormsewer system is not treated for pollutants before it enters our waterways.
Stormwater Best-Management Practices help capture stormwater where it lands, allowing pollutants and sediment to settle or filter out. These projects are one type of "green infrastructure" — or infrastructure which uses nature as a primary technology to improve environmental outcomes. Through the infiltration process used in stormwater best-management practices, stormwater runoff is reduced. This can mean less pollutants in our waterways and less flooding in our streets during heavy rain events.
The City of Cedar Rapids has a goal of improving stormwater quality and reducing stormwater quantity. All property owners in Cedar Rapids are encouraged to play their part in being good environmental stewards. This program can help! For property owners with high ERUs, this project can help reduce stormwater utility fees.
Questions? Email: email@example.com
- Projects are not eligible for reimbursement until a project application is approved. Property owners interested in reimbursement through the Stormwater Cost-Share Program must first submit a project application.
- Reimbursement through the program follows successful project completion and inspection by the City. This is how we ensure money distributed through the program is used for its intended purpose.
- Any property owner subject to the City of Cedar Rapids Stormwater Utility Fee is eligible for participation in the program.
- The commercial program only applies for stormwater projects that go above and beyond the minimum stormwater management requirements for the development site. Property owners must agree to maintain the projects over time.
- The proposed measures must conform to the standards set forth in the Iowa Stormwater Management Manual and/or the Iowa Rain Garden Design and Installation Manual.
- Reimbursements are made after all work is completed and inspected.
- The applicant is responsible for the implementation of the project.
- The City is not liable for personal injury or property damage.
- The property owner is responsible for all applicable permits.
- The City does not warranty-approved projects.
|Full Application and Signed Maintenance Agreement Form
|Applications to be submitted at least 45 days prior to each Stormwater Commission Meeting
|How will the application be reviewed
Competitive evaluation by Stormwater Commission every 2 months based on the following criteria:
Unsuccessful applications may reapply
Application packages can be submitted to the Public Works Sewer Division:
City of Cedar Rapids
Public Works Sewer Division, Attn Stormwater Coordinator
500 15th Ave SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org (include "Attn Stormwater Coordinator" in the subject heading)