Public Works

1.      Sewer Backup Complaints
Respond to all customer calls and “run” City “main” to verify that it is open.

  • If there is not a blockage in City main, advise customer to contact a plumber.
  • If there is a blockage in City main, televise the main at the earliest possible time to try to determine cause of blockage.

2.      On-Call Service
Provide emergency on-call service 24-hours per day, 7 days per week.

3.      Entry into Private Business or Residences
Entry into private business’ or residences is prohibited unless otherwise directed by the Sewer Maintenance Manager or City Engineer.

4.      Televising of Sewer Mains
Televise sewer mains under the following circumstances:

  • If there is a blockage in City main (see Item 1 above).
  • In advance of street capital improvement projects (includes storm and sanitary sewer).
  • At least one month prior to maintenance bond expiration for subdivisions.
  • Other activities as directed by the City Engineer. These activities may include helping to resolve construction-related problems, locating or inspecting sewer lines or services lines for other City Departments, etc.
  • Televising in response to blockages in the City sewer is the highest priority.

5.      Customer Notification Following Televising
If roots are noticed at sewer connection and the roots cannot be removed by City staff, send a letter to property owner suggesting they contact a plumber or contractor to have roots removed.

6.      Maintenance of Problem Lines
City sewer mains that are found to have roots in the joints, grease buildup, or have sedimentation problems due to flat slopes are to be added to the routine maintenance list. Clean and check mains on a regular schedule. If frequency or level of activity becomes excessive, add line to capital improvement program list.

7.      Customer Reimbursement
If a sewer backup is caused by a blockage in the City sewer and property owner requests reimbursement for damages, property owner may be reimbursed up to $500, dependent upon approval by City Engineer. The $500 is to be used towards installation of a backflow prevention device and property owner must sign an agreement indemnifying City for all future damages resulting from sewer backups.

8.      Assistance to Other Departments
Provide cleaning and related services to other City Departments.

9.      Assistance to Other Public Agencies
Provide assistance for emergency situations (sewer blockages resulting in backups) to other public agencies. Agencies are to be invoiced for actual costs of labor, material, and equipment.

10.  Notification for Grease Related Sewer Blockages
Notify the Environmental Manager at Water Pollution Control (WPC) of incident. If offender is identified, the Environmental Manager will do the following:

  • First Offense – Inform offender that discharge of grease is prohibited by City Code and that they could be held liable for cost of cleanup.
  • Second Offense – Notify offender that a plan of action is required to address prevention of grease discharge. Invoice offender for all City’s cost to clean ad clear the line and inform offender that they may have service discontinued.
  • Third Offense – Invoice offender for actual costs of cleanup and pursue disconnection of service.

11.  Utility Locates
Attempt to field locate all underground utilities (storm and sanitary sewer) in response to Iowa One-Call utility locate requests. Locating sanitary sewer has higher priority over storm sewer.

12.  Service Line and Other Minor Construction
Install, repair or replace service lines and perform other minor construction for other City Departments, as directed by the City Engineer. Costs of materials only are to be charged to the Department.

13.  Storm Sewer Construction
Construct storm sewer and structures to correct deficiencies in existing development, as direct by the City Engineer.

14.  Construction – Repairs
Perform point repairs on sanitary or storm sewer pipes and perform repair or rehabilitation to storm or sanitary sewer structures. If conditions are beyond what is customary for Sewer Maintenance Staff, work is to be contracted to a private Contractor, unless otherwise authorized by the City Engineer.

15.  Reporting of Sewer System Overflows
Report all sewer system overflows to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) as soon as possible after event is known. The Sewer Maintenance Supervisor is to notify the Sewer Maintenance Manager, who will notify the IDNR. The Sewer Maintenance Manager is responsible for collecting information about the event and submitting a written report to the IDNR.

© 2024  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login