Cedar Rapids City Manager Jeff Pomeranz challenges every resident to collect at least one bag of litter each year to help CleanUpCR! Pick up a kit and gather litter from your neighborhood, around your work place, or wherever you see the need!
Neighborhood Cleanup Events
City Manager's 1-Bag Challenge City Event, Open to the Public
Monday, April 24, 2023, 4-6 p.m. at McGrath Amphitheater (475 1st St. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401)
Join the City of Cedar Rapids for the City Manager's 1-Bag Challenge! Cedar Rapids' City Manager Jeff Pomeranz challenges every resident to collect at least one bag of litter each year, and we are hosting a litter pick-up event to kick off the spring season. The event will be held on Monday, April 24, 2023, at 4 p.m. at McGrath Amphitheater. Join us to take the City Manager's 1-Bag Challenge and help CleanUpCR!Water, snacks, and giveaway items will be provided. Following brief remarks and a group photo, participants will be encouraged to pick up litter together. Dress for the outdoors and wear comfortable shoes — we'll see you there!
Does one bag make a difference?
One bag on its own may not seem like a big deal, but if all 130,000+ residents took the time to collect one bag each year, it would make a huge difference in our community!
How do I participate?
- Pick up your litter collection kit at a designated location (listed below).
- Fill the bag with litter you find around your neighborhood, place of work, or wherever you see the need
- Set the full bag beside your GARBY cart on your normal garbage collection day. The special City Manager's Challenge bags do not require an extra $1.50 sticker. If you do not have a GARBY cart, handle the bag as you would your regular trash.
- Log your participation so we can recognize and measure community-wide progress:
Schedule a Group Event
Is your group interested in adopting a road? Adopt a Road groups commit to at least two cleanups each year along a particular stretch of road. This is a common option for businesses and nonprofits. Find more information here.
Is your group planning a cleanup event? One-time cleanup events can be organized by any group that wants to make a difference in our community! Let us know about your event so we can provide cleanup kits, arrange to pick up the bags you collect, and help spread the word.
You can pick up a litter collection kit at any of these distribution locations:
- Designated Hy-Vee Food or Drug Stores in Cedar Rapids (visit the Customer Service desk)
- 4035 Mt Vernon Rd SE
- 505 Boyson Rd NE
- 2001 Blairs Ferry Rd NE
- 3235 Oakland Rd NE
- 4825 Johnson Ave NW
- 1843 Johnson Ave NW
- 5050 Edgewood Rd NE
- 20 Wilson Ave SW
- NewBo City Market (1100 3rd St SE)
- Cedar Rapids Public Library Locations
- Downtown Library (450 5th Ave SE)
- Ladd Library (3750 Williams Blvd SW)
- Cedar Rapids City Services Center (please call ahead for bigger groups at 319-286-5897)
- Cedar Rapids Water Administration Building (please call ahead at 319-286-5900)
- Cedar Rapids City Hall (please call ahead at 319-286-5080)
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there restrictions on where litter can be picked up? Litter can be collected from the right of way throughout the city with a few exceptions: Residents should not enter the Interstate to pick up litter, unless they are part of a sanctioned group. Residents should not pick up litter on private property without permission.
Can I get more than one litter collection kit? You can get as many litter collection kits as you think you will use. If you are interested in picking up litter on a continuous basis or have a group interested in picking up litter, contact the Cedar Rapids Solid Waste & Recycling Office at 319-286-5897, so we can get you the supplies you need.
How long will the challenge last? Bags are generally available from April 1st through October 31st each year, but litter can be collected year-round as weather permits.
What if I don't have a GARBY cart? If you do not have a GARBY cart, please dispose of the bag of litter as you would your normal trash. Solid waste haulers not associated with the City of Cedar Rapids will treat the litter bags as they would a normal bag of trash.