- Fruit & Vegetable Peelings
- Dryer lint & human or pet hair
- Baked goods
Placing these items in your YARDY cart instead of your garbage can help the environment by reducing the amount of waste sent to the landfill and produce rich compost for all Linn County residents to use.
Not allowed in YARDY
The following items are not accepted in your YARDY cart. While they may work in home compost piles, they are known to cause challenges at the composting facility in their undegrated form:
- Paper towels
- Paper plates and coffee cups, including those with a wax coating
- Animal bedding and cat litter
There are several easy ways to collect your kitchen compostables and take advantage of this service.
- Keep a paper bag by your sink. When full, put the entire bag into YARDY
- Keep a container in the freezer and empty into YARDY when full
- Purchase a countertop compost bin from your local retail store to gather your kitchen scraps
Placing organics in your YARDY cart may increase the amount of decomposing material that sticks to the sides of your cart. To solve this issue you may want to place kitchen scraps on a bed of leaves or grass and rinse your YARDY cart with increased frequency.
Our phones are answered 24/7.
Call (319) 286-5897
7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
500 15th Ave SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404-5837