Traffic Closure Notices
Learn More About Traffic Impacts
Center Point Road Closure in Hiawatha
Effective Monday, June 1, Center Point Road will be closed for resurfacing between Willman Street and Blairs Ferry Road. Work is anticipated to be completed in one (1) working day, weather permitting. For questions, please call the City of Hiawtha's Engineering Department at 319-393-1515, ext. 511.
C Street SW Closure
Starting Tuesday, May 26, C Street SW will be closed between Kirkwood Pkwy SW and Prairie Rose Drive SW, for pavement repairs. Work is anticipated to take approximately 1-2 weeks, weather permitting.
8th Ave SW Closure
Starting Tuesday, May 26, 8th Avenue SW will be closed between Chandler Street and 18th Street for approximately one (1) week for water main repairs.
H Avenue NE Closure
Starting Tuesday, May 26, H Avenue NE will be closed at Shaver Road for railroad crossing repairs. Work is anticipated to take approximately 4 – 5 days to complete. Shaver Road is open to northbound and southbound traffic.
H Avenue NE is currently open to eastbound traffic only from the I-380 northbound off-ramp to Oakland Road for pavement and trail improvements. This project is anticipated to be completed by fall 2020.
Center Point Road NE Two-Way Conversion
Center Point NE, between 29th Street and J Avenue, is scheduled to transition to two-way traffic on Tuesday, May 26. enter Point Road is currently one-way southbound only. Lane reductions will be in effect this week while crews apply yellow lane lines and update signage to reflect two-way traffic flow. The process to convert the road will take approximately one week.
The conversion is part of public improvements already taking place on 29th Street and Center Point Road NE this year. 29th Street is currently closed between the I-380 on-ramps and Oakland Road. Immediately following the completion of the conversion work, Center Point Road NE will be closed just south of 29th Street for utility work associated with the project. Access to the neighborhood will be open via Center Point Road and J Avenue.
In addition to the conversion, the full project includes replacement of pavement and traffic signals at the intersection of Center Point Road and 29th Street, and medians on 29th Street near the I-380 ramps. The pavement and median work is scheduled to be completed fall of 2020.
Oakland Road NE was converted to two-way traffic in 2018, between 32nd Street and H Avenue.
Cottage Grove Avenue SE Closure
The intersection of Cottage Grove Avenue and 34th Street is tentatively scheduled to close Monday, May 18, for work associated with bridge replacement over Spoon Creek. This closure was originally scheduled for May 13. The intersection will be closed for approximately two (2) months.
Mt. Vernon Road SE Traffic Restrictions
Starting Wednesday, 5/13, periodic traffic restrictions will occur on westbound Mt. Vernon Road SE between Lincoln Heights Drive (Linn County) and 14th Street, including lane shifts and lane reductions, for utility work. Work is anticipated to take two(2) weeks, weather permitting.
6th Street SW Traffic Restrictions
- Starting Thursday, May 14, 6th Street SW will be reduced to one lane each direction between Hawkeye Downs Road and 50th Avenue Court for sewer and pavement repairs. Work is expected to take two (2) weeks, weather permitting.
- Starting Monday, March 30, pavement improvements begin on 6th Street SW between Walford Road and Tharp Road. The project was originally scheduled to begin on March 23. The road will be closed to through traffic during the course of the summer; business access will be maintained. The project is scheduled to be completed this fall.
1st Avenue Downtown Pedestrian Improvements Begin
Starting Thursday, May 14, work begins on pedestrian and streetscaping improvements on 1st Avenue, between 2nd Street and 5th Street downtown. Lane reductions will be in effect for traffic traveling westbound on 1st Avenue; 4th St NE will also be closed between A Avenue and 1st Avenue.
About the Project
The project includes installation of raised pedestrian medians and flashing pedestrian signals in front of the U.S. Cellular Center, decorative fencing and landscaping, and shifting the trail and crosswalk on 1st Avenue from the west side of the railroad tracks to the east side. The project is anticipated to be completed by August. 1st Avenue will remain open with lane reductions in effect through the project.
Edgewood Road Traffic Restrictions
- Effective Monday, April 13, northbound traffic on Edgewood Road NW/NE will be reduced to one lane between Ellis Road NW and Glass Road NE for river embankment work. Work is expected to take three (3) weeks, weather permitting.
- Starting Monday, March 16, median improvements will begin on Edgewood Road SW. This project consists of aesthetic improvements, pavement patching and landscaping on Edgewood Road SW from 33rd Avenue to Williams Boulevard. During the course of the project, northbound and southbound traffic will be periodically reduced to one lane each direction. Work is expected to be completed by May of this year.
Williams Boulevard SW and Dean Road Closure
Starting Monday, March 30, the intersection of Williams Boulevard SW (Highway 151) and Dean Road in Fairfax will be closed for construction of a roundabout. Highway 151 closures are also in effect between Beverly Road/Stoney Point Road and just south of Dean Road as part of Iowa DOT improvements. The roundabout is scheduled to be open to traffic in August.
- Paving for Progress Projects
Road projects paid for specifically by the local option sales tax
- Capital Improvement Projects
Trail and road projects not funded by the local option sales tax
Learn more about completed or underway roundabout projects
- Flood Control Projects
Information on projects associated with the permanent Flood Control System
- SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTERS
Click here for additional traffic closures: https://bit.ly/2IQdaMh